I’m very proud to announce the first public release of a new commercial APEX plugin based on the tree widget from the Ext JS library developed by Sencha. It’s jam-packed full of functionality and customisation ability. It’s simple to use with predefined defaults “Out of the Box”, but also allows you to use every config parameter, method, and event documented in the Ext JS API.
Here’s a list of the plugin’s features:
- AJAX enabled with the choice of loading the entire tree in one call or on node by node or X many levels expanding ability
- Search: Dynamic filtering of the tree contents
- Customisable Expand & Collapse & Refresh buttons
- Tree drill down capability
- Drag & Drop Reordering Support
- Tree Label Editing
- Checkbox Nodes with state saving using an existing APEX item
- Context Menu with complex object Support (from a single SQL Query)
- Cookie based state saving for expanded nodes.
- Order by “Display Sequence” support
- Fully integrated into dynamic actions. Bind click, drag & drop, edit complete, expand, collapse, context menu selection etc. events
- In it’s basic form opens URL targets
- Tree config is fully customizable with application level defaults
- Support for node by node custom config, e.g. enableDrag = false
- Full support for replacing substitution strings in both config & data
- Custom icon support
- Help Text/Quick Tip support
- Supports unlimited tree’s on a single page
- Theme changing support
and here’s where you can find the documentation, demo’s, and download.
I’m hoping to get some feedback and enhancement requests over the next few weeks before releasing the final production version towards the end of May. One point to note: it does require the purchase of a plugin license and that you also hold/purchase a license from Sencha to use the Ext JS library; but before this changes your mind you may want to consider the following:
- It’s simple to use. All you need to define is a simple flat SQL query, no CONNECT BY needed.
- It will save you time every single time. You can create an AJAX enabled tree with context menu support in a couple of minutes. It’s arguably the fastest way to create a complex Ext JS tree end to end, thanks to the RAD architecture of APEX.
- With AJAX node by node expanding capability you can create a tree based on large datasets, it’s been tested on 20,000+ record hierarchical tree’s.
- It provides feature rich options not available in the standard APEX jsTree. Such as checkboxes, label editing, drag & drop reordering, AJAX fetching by X many levels, searching, the list goes on… all within the one plugin.
- It’s integrated into Dynamic Actions, which means it’s easy to bind events and actions within the actual APEX framework/IDE. Refreshing standard APEX reports via AJAX on different tree events is simple.
- It’s fully supported, will stay actively developed, and you can file enhancement requests.
- Once you choose Ext JS you’re opening up endless of possibilities for developing feature rich applications, whilst safely knowing you can still use standard APEX components and jQuery. It’s the best of both worlds!
- Ext JS provides cross browser support, it’s built on Web Standards, which translates into reduced maintenance & troubleshooting.
- This is the first of many plugins in the pipeline. The license revenue will fund future plugin development, so your support is essential. I’m passionate about bringing as much Ext functionality to APEX as possible in a future proof, maintainable approach so “we all” can build amazing web applications, amazingly fast.
Test it out, I’m positive you won’t be disappointed….. and if you are let me know, I want your feedback good or bad.